Saturday, August 23, 2014

My Color

I have thought about inclusive-ity and diversity a TON lately.  I didn't like that my only option was to scream "Hey [under represented group] I want you to be a member of our community!"  There had to be something else I could do.  What was I missing?!?

Today I had an epiphany.  Today I realized for the very first time WHY I wanted the diversity.  It wasn't so I could champion about that I am inclusive.  It finally dawned on me that I WANT to tell the under represented groups they are needed and why they are needed.

We are drawn to things that are like us!! :D  I recently found out the founder of Adafruit is a girl!!  I was so excited!!  A girl!  Someone like me!  Doing something techy!  How cool!!  Google's "Made with Code" is about girls (like me!!) using code (I can do that!!).  I read an article in the Star Tribune featuring the La Semana Culture Camp for adopted kids from Latin America.  The highlighted quote was 'All the kids are my color.'  Meggan Scavio recently recalled a conversation she had with Rami Ismail on how he felt seeing Farsi on a slide at GDC and how moved he was.  It was because there was something he resonated with, something "my color."

That is it.  THAT is what its all about!!  Finding "my color" is why I want to scream from the rooftops:
"Please be a member of the Imagine Me community!!! Be the "my color" for someone.  Please bring your friends.  Find your "my color" with us.  Let me know how I can make that happen for you!  I want it to be a place you feel safe.  A place you can find your color :)"

You may not understand why it's such a big deal to me - especially right now.  That's okay ^_^ I just wanted to tell you, I've found "my color."

0 comments:

Post a Comment