Friday, November 1, 2013

Making vs Taking the Time to Code

Hello friends!

I have to admit my fervor for coding has been sparked anew!  It may be the cold weather snap in Minnesota has pushed me indoors or perhaps the mental check on the difference between "making" and "taking" time.

Lately, I've been trying to "make" the time to code.  However, I am neither a Time Lord nor a deity and cannot make time.  Instead, I made the mental switch to dedicating myself to "taking" the time to code. Each and every day.  There are awesome tools that provide daily code challenges (see my last post where I gush all over Codewars) as well as multiples of sites dedicated to "meat & potatoes" learning.

Treehouse logo


Albeit a little expensive, I finally dove into all that is Treehouse.  I've flirted with the site for a while, but what really drove me to pay the fee (usually I pick free sites) was the combination of languages in each track.  In reality, each language has its strengths and weaknesses.  A wise developer knows how to use Javascript, HTML, and CSS in harmony (or uses AbsurdJS but more on that another time).  Treehouse really impressed me in that there isn't a single track in which you only learn a single language.  Its well worth it to check it out!

Finally, I have another GUSH! post.  DEVICE 6 from Simogo (the game studio that brought Year Walk to the world).  Where should I start!?!  Its an experience.  I absolutely love the puzzles. I love the interaction. I love the audio. I love that Anna gets a whole song.  I love the style that brings a fantastic feel to the game.  And despite what most reviews say - I love the length.  I played through the game in around 3 hours.  It was worth every penny of the $3.99 on the app store.  Expensive you say?  That's half the price of a micro brew and still less expensive than a Pumpkin Spice Latte - and it will last longer than either of those.  If ya decide to play it, please let me know what you thought!

DEVICE6 logo

0 comments:

Post a Comment